Sunday, October 14, 2007

It was a quiet weekend. Completed a bunch of odd jobs around the house -- filled up the yard waste bag with the end of season plant remains; cleaned up the green bin which had been raided by raccoons; cleaned up the rock borders on the front walk; touched up the limestone screening between the flagstone.

I also finally repainted the inside of the front door, unfortunately the colour doesn't match. There's three colours in the house -- two shades of brown on the walls, and an off-white on the trim. (My interior decorating theory is neutral colours on things that are hard to change like walls and floors, and colour on things that are easy to change, such as pillow coverings and placemats). The painters had left behind two paint cans, with the two browns. I took the paint cans to the paint store on Queen St E where it was purchased, and they were able to trace the order and identify the off-white. I bought a quart, and painted the door. But it looks like the painter ran out of paint, and only used our local store to finish off painting -- because the white doesn't match. So I'm just calling it a base coat.

We walked down to the Real Jerk on Saturday for lunch. There's a lot of new storefronts -- almost all of Queen St E is now gentrified. Checked out the bakery on Logan north of the Starbucks. It was around 3pm and it was full of people but empty of baked goods. Heard the baker explaining to someone else that you need to be there at 8am to get bread.

We had a couple of good bottles of wine this weekend. On Friday I tried to make the portabello agnolotti like at Alice Fazooli's. I made the pasta from scratch. It was pretty easy -- it's just flour (durum and semolina) and egg -- but I didn't roll it thin enough, and so it came out a bit chewy. Had a ripasa that was recommended by Mike at the LCBO. It went great with the caesar salad, beef carpaccio, and agnolotti.

Last night was had steak with baked potato and whipped spinach. We've been getting in the habit of buying one large new york steak (about 425g) instead of trying to finish one each. Same for the potatoes. But when I was grocery shopping it looked like I was going to have dinner by myself with the single steak and potato in my basket. We had the bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape from our mystery benefactor. (Someone anonymously gave us a wedding gift at Dalvay -- we think it was the couple that celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary at Dalvay on the Friday before our wedding). We figured a Saturday night was a special occasion enough to have the bottle. It was really good as well.

Lost both Ultimate and hockey last week, although both were competitive games. We should have won Ultimate, up 6-2, but then we got a bit complacent and lost 26-22. Went for all-you-can-eat ribs at Shoeless Joe's at King and Spadina. The ribs weren't too bad. Went rack-for-rack with Craig, I think we had two full racks each.

Thurdsay we lost at hockey 3-1, but at least we carried the play on occasion. We're getting new jerseys this season, powder blue with a capital R (for Rockets, our team name) on the front.

Well that's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment